Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Does Orbitz misuse Credit Card information?

This is a non academic blog entry. But this is a serious issue, as it concerns all of us who use plastic money to buy things over the net. My wife's latest experience in this matter has been very bitter.

She was buying a ticket to come to India. She was looking at various travel agents from whom you can buy a ticket online. So she checked Orbitz too. It was quoting quite reasonable and cheap fares. We decided to go for it. So she paid online using her Debit card as a Credit card. All was fine till then. She promptly got an email notification about her itinerary. The shock came when she checked the bank account. She had been charged twice for the same ticket. Now a round trip ticket to India is not something cheap. And paying it twice is a financial shock. She called up Orbitz. They said that they don't know of the transaction and that she must contact the bank. When she called up the bank, they said that the transaction is not recorded yet and she has to wait till it does. Now it is two days and she hasn't got even a little bit of cooperation - neither from her bank nor Orbitz.


This brings me to the question, who is responsible for this? Is Orbitz safe? A google search gives an idea it is. A closer search reveals the following site http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff170312.htm . Now, these people also had negative experiences. Well is it Orbitz or is it that the whole process of Credit card transaction is flawed?

3 comments:

shannon said...

I haven't yet read the article, but this is curious to me because last year when I booked a vacation through Orbitz, the credit card transaction came through on my credit card three times. I had a rough time on the phone with Orbitz and my bank, and finally they refunded one of the charges, but I was still left with two charges when I only booked the one trip. I had to request a chargeback from the bank to finally get it all taken care of.

Now, I will read the article!

creditcardrays said...

This is very niche and excellent content love to see more post like this..keep posting. Thanks for information ..bravo...

Nancy said...

the way you write a article it raises curosity...