Sunday, November 12, 2006

What do I want to do with this blog?

For quite sometime I have been thinking writing something in my blog, but for a variety of reasons I simply could not do it. Well, first of all, being towards the end of my Ph.D. program, I am quite busy tying up the loose ends. Further, the nature of this blog itself is a bit too daring. I intend to expand on the last statement a bit.

Till now I was writing about things somehow related to mathematics. I tried to keep the stuff simple, still interesting. Somehow suddenly I started feeling a bit of a shortage of simple things to write in the blog. Most of the things are already there on the net; and most likely you do not have to go anywhere further than Wikipedia. Then I wonder, why should I waste time writing on things which are already well documented on the net. And specially when the other people are doing a good job, definitely a much better job than what I could have done alone.

For example, for the last few months I had been thinking for writing a blog on projective planes. I read a bit and then thought, "Okay, I need more interesting things if I have to write a popular article." I went on reading and then slowly it started getting technical. And by the time it got to some level of interest, I already was dwelling in open problems in the area. Then I decided to write a part of it. Before writing, I did a google search on those topics. There were so many articles dealing with exactly what I wanted to write about, I felt it is better that I do something else which will be more original.

Thus I decided to change the flavor of the blog.

This blog I'll keep to update about things happening around me. Of course, only those of academic interest. I may try my hand at writing about some nonacademic incidents also. But

Warning: I am very bad at narration. So read at your own risk! :-).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

bring it on

Anonymous said...

ab likho bhi ... :)

Vivek said...

3rd November zaroor likhunga... Uske pehle dekhte hain!

Anonymous said...

3rd November of 2007 we hope.

Vivek said...

Hmmmmmmmm...... :-)

kate said...

where are the promised non academic posts?
:)